Week 26, or “Symphysis Pubis Disorder? More like Symphysis.....stupid....disorder.... look, every title can't be a winner.”

Warning: any baby posts might involve some unappetizing talk including, but not limited to: my lady parts, peeing, and the word “fetus”. Proceed with caution.

So, I mentioned in the last post that I've been dealing with this fun little issue called “SPD” or “Symphysis Pubis Disorder”. Basically, around week 16, I started to have a constant pain in my right, well, groin, for lack of a better term. I tell everyone who asks that the pain is in my hip, but really, it's my groin. I just don't want to say groin. Or even type it anymore, ew.

I assumed it was just growing pains or round ligament pain. But, it didn't go away. Actually, it got worse. Walking became really painful, as did little things like climbing in and out of my car, rolling over in bed, and stairs.

I mentioned it to my doctor, who at first dismissed it as normal pregnancy pain, but (at my insistence) later diagnosed me with SPD. Basically, when you're pregnant, your body produces a hormone called relaxin, which does just what it sounds like: helps your joints relax, in preparation for birthing something the size of a large fruit. The problem starts when your body produces too much relaxin, too soon, and your joints get a little too relaxed, which causes irritation.

Why doesn't this graphic have a left leg?

Unfortunately, my doc didn't really give me a lot of options for pain management. She told me to take Tylenol, lay on my right side (the side that hurts the most), don't move much, and basically wait it out, as it will (hopefully) resolve completely after the birth. I also invested in a belly band, which is basically a huge piece of elastic that helps hold my baby belly off of my pelvis. I honestly can't tell if it's helping or not- some days, I wear it, and the pain seems better. And some days, I wear it, and the pain is worse.

So, that's the story of my pubic bone. If you see me walking realllllly slow or grimacing on stairs, blame my pubis.

Stats

Baby is the size of a(n): Head of lettuce. I find this only slightly more bearable than the canteloupes of last week.

How I'm feeling: Overall, the 2nd trimester has been way easier than the first. I've gotten a lot of my energy back and don't have to go to bed at 4 pm anymore. Of course, the trade off is the SPD, plus all the other fun pregnancy joys, like backaches, constant urination, and swelling. I hear it gets better from here. NOT.

How much weight have I gained: 26 pounds. I gain about a pound a week, which is no problem 'cause I hear it all melts right off from breast feeding. HA.

Cravings: The Cheetos craving returned with a vengeance this week. Also, just salty snacks in general, which is probably not helping with the bloating.....

How Russell's doing: Doing well! This week, we went to a UT Basketball game with a friend from church and he got to fantasize about taking Baby Mc to sports games when she's older. I indulge this fantasy because I love him, but if she's anything like me, she will be totally disinterested in all sport. Point proven in that this game was my first UT Basketball game. Ever. I'm 33, have lived in Knoxville for 30 years, and went to UT for 5 of those.

How the nursery is coming along: The hunt is on for the perfect dresser. Perfect, to me, means cheap, but sturdy. (There's a yo mama joke there and I want credit for not saying it.) Here's my inspiration dresser:

Oh my stars, it's SO BEAUTIFUL. And so elusive! I can't find a dresser like this to save my life.
Well, that's not true – I've found a few of them, but they've all been around $600, which is sooooo not gonna happen. In my dresser fantasies, I find one that someone has put out for the trash despite its pristine condition and solid wood, dove-tailed construction. Sigh....

Tasks I've had to avoid because I'm pregnant: Because of the SPD, I really try to avoid the stairs when I'm home. So, texts like this happen: 


 
With all the demands, it's no wonder he needs a nap.


Comments

Popular Posts