What I did for my summer "vacation"

I put "vacation" in quotation marks because, let's be honest: this is work! I have to say, plaster removal is waaaaay grosser than I imagined it would be. And has taken waaaaay longer. But, it's saving us upwards of $2,000, so I can't complain much!

This week, we really needed to get a lot of the demo done by Thursday, including knocking down some walls that separate "our side" (the front of the house, where we've lived for the last year) from "Damien's side" (the back of the house). P.s.: we still totally refer to rooms as "Damien's bedroom" or "Damien's kitchen". It's just easier that way :)Anyhow, knocking through those walls made our project more time sensitive, because it meant that the area of the house that we live in is now open to the disaster that is the back half. Open to all the dust and debris. So, every wall that comes down has to, immediately, be taped up. It makes for long days :)

These first shots are of "Damien's bedroom", which will eventually become our Master. Right now, it's storage.




Note the two holes in the wall here---that area was the original door and when D moved out, I had these grand delusions of immediately reopening it and moving in. Ha. I came back to reality when I realized I don't know how to frame a door :) Of course, this was after removing the drywall from our side of the door frame and poking these two holes through.




This is Damien's bathroom. The theme is "darkness". And that's our shower curtain hanging in the gross little stall shower. Again, grand delusions of moving in....





Blech, let's get out of there. Follow me down my stairway COVERED in plaster dust. Grrr. Also, you'll have to step over our craptastic Rigid "shop vac". It sucks, but not literally. Literally, it just sits there are makes me angry. Don't buy a Rigid. You'll be wooed by the "lifetime warranty". This is a lie. In order to fix it, they'll make you send it, on your dime, to their repair shop in another state. Oh but don't worry, to make up for that shipping, they'll throw in a free filter when they send it back. Too bad I just bought a filter, to see if that was why my Rigid wouldn't suck. LAME.



So, at the bottom of the stairs, we arrive in our lovely family room. You can see where we've removed all the drywall, paneling, molding, and plaster (yes, all layered upon each other, yay!) between the stairwell and the family room. You can also see where we removed the former "door to Damien's side" and exchanged it for plastic sheeting.








Onto my glorious new kitchen! Can you sense sarcasm through a blog post? :)





Sarcasm aside, that last picture is actually really exciting. The one with the ladder in it? Because what you're looking at here is actually my front door (through everyone's favorite plastic sheeting). From my back door! (ladies? There's a joke there, I'm sure of it...) Which means that we knocked down the main wall that divided the house into a duplex :) It was a very exciting moment!!

Also, stove for sale! Slightly used....


And here I am with our trusty crowbar, who we've named "Krahl, the warrior King" (How to lose a guy in 10 days? anyone?)


Yup, that's what happens when your hubs is the photographer :) He's a really great cook. And gardener! Photographer, not so much.

Comments

Popular Posts