IKEA Rast Bedside Table Hack

Hello world! I hope you had a great Christmas and New Year! :)


Since Russell and I both had 2 weeks free from work, we knocked out a couple of projects around 'ole McCurdy house. The first was to improve our bare bones IKEA nightstands.

First of all, I wish I could take credit for this idea, but alas, MANY others have done this hack- Vanessa at This & That did a nice stained wood version; Give Everybody Nice Sweaters actually did the hack 3 times, 3 different ways (this one was my fave); but A Charming Nest's  version was the one we worked from. I liked the contrast between the painted body and the stained top- plus all the wood in our bedroom is stained, so I thought it would be a nice change.

So, here's the before picture- like, right before, hence all the sawdust on the porch. By the way, this is the lovely IKEA Rast Dresser- $35.00!

 I won't go by the play by play, but basically Russell added base molding to the bottom and lattice to the sides and drawers. Then, he beefed up the top with some 1 x 6's and more lattice.
 Then, I painted the bottom, stained the top, and added hardware (from Hobby Lobby). Here is the final product!
 We have 2- one on each side of the bed. Ignore all those scratches on the floor (or kindly make a donation to the "we need to re do the floors upstairs" fund.)
Total, the project probably cost around $40 in wood, plus the $35 each for the dressers and took about 6 hours over 2 days.  $55 for a bedside table? Not too shabby :)

Comments

Popular Posts